Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Fight of a True Survivor

Hello, all. It's just me, Kristi B (aka KB). For those of you that don't know me - Carol and I started out as coworkers and became close friends very quickly. She has asked me to be her voice from now on. I will try to stick with the facts and put all emotions aside, although it won't be easy.

You've probably read Carol's last entry and know that the spread to her brain has put her in a bad place. She got a prognosis last week Tuesday and they gave her approx. 7 months. She has been through the ringer and has told me many times that she wants it to be sooner. She's ready to make peace.

Right now she's in the hospital. She made the decision to be admitted last night, mainly because she is lacking nutrition and the discomfort is becoming unbearable. She's had problems with her throat since a procedure was done a few weeks ago and she hasn't been able to put any food or liquid down. After seeing her today it appears that she has made a little bit of progress and is taking some steps with getting the nutrition she desperately needs. They have her on an IV and she's had some soft foods and drink.

She has a meeting with hospice care today. Their main goal is to make her comfortable and give her the quality of life that she needs at this point, mentally and physically. They will take care of her at home and hopefully put her in a much better place. She had started radiation on her brain last week, along with steroids, to reduce the swelling, but today they decided to put that on hold. Not sure if they'll continue this week or not. Carol would rather not, but the doctors think it's an important step. She should be talking to Dr. K tomorrow to make that decision. In the mean time she will continue the steroids.

Carol said you shouldn't plan on hearing from her anymore. I will keep you updated on where she's at. I know you all have a lot of questions and visit this blog daily to find out how she's doing. I sure don't have that way with words like Carol does, but I'll do my best.

And....I'm not sure what else to say. Those are most of the facts and I said I wouldn't get emotional. It's been a long week for many of us and as hard as it is for us to see Carol suffer like this, you have to know that she is ready to say her good-byes and put the pain aside. She's fought a damn good fight and kudos to her for being the toughest, most courageous woman I have ever met. She is truly one of a kind.

2 comments:

jeanneusa said...

I agree with you whole heartedly, she has put up a very good fight. And I understand she is getting tired with it all. My sister-in-law passed away 8 years ago with what started as ovarian cancer and then it spread also after 6 years of fighting she was ready also to say her goodbye's. My prayers are with Carol everyday and I will pray that her quality of life can be better managed to make life beariable. Please send my good wishes to her.
God Bless you, you are a wonderful friend to Carol.
Thank you for your updates.
Jean Z.

Jim & Kitty said...

It is so kind of you to take the time to keep Carol's blog updated. God Bless You for that. We trust that you will relay to Carol that she is and will forever be in our prayers. We were so fortunate to have been able to see Carol on the 23rd of June when she and Dominic were in Minnesota for Carol's Aunt Midge's jubilee. We send her our Love. Aunt Kitty & Uncle Jim