Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Down for the Count

And it has been a total, complete, and indisputable knock out! That is to say...I have been knocked out for the last week.

It started last Tuesday night when Brian woke to a strange noise. The noise turned out to be me, shivering uncontrollably. It only got worse from there. We have been able to determine that what I've gone through is a combination of chemo side effects and the nasty virus that's been going around. Unfortunately, we don't know which symptoms to attribute to what. By Friday afternoon I was in the clinic getting fluids for dehydration, as well as anti-nausea meds and steroids.

On Monday we did a chest x-ray and found fluid back around my lungs. My blood work, surprisingly, was good enough that we could have done another treatment, but I refused. I need this week to gain back my strength...physically, mentally, and emotionally. The stomach is still somewhat unsettled and the mind is not as good as it could be. This was a true beating.

Each day seems to be getting a little better. I'm sure by Monday I'll be "fine" and we'll do another round of the chemo. Only then will we know what the true side effects of the chemo are. (Mouth sores seem to be a new one, making it extremely difficult to eat, even when the stomach seems willing.)

Hopefully this bitter cold will at least serve the purpose of killing off some of the nasty germs out there.

1 comment:

lois.girten said...

Hi Carol, Texas cousin Lois here!
Chuck and I pray for you, your family, your parents, your brothers and sisters, your nieces and nephews, your caretakers, doctors, and all, everyday at morning mass.
There are over 45 women that are part of a retreat team also praying for you daily.
Our church group is also praying daily for you.
keep the faith.
love,
Lois