Sunday, January 01, 2006

Sh!thouse

111 --- My mother-in-law taught me that a 111 in bowling is called a “shithouse.” I have learned, over the course of time, that that number applies to other pretty lousy things. For example: 1/11 (2001) I received my initial diagnosis of breast cancer. Now, on 1/11 (2006) my youngest brother, Dave, will travel to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester to have some tests done. You see, Dave and his wife, Kate, received one of the worst possible Christmas “gifts” this year. Dave has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Disease.

As a result of this heart-wrenching news, we have added a fourth member to the “Breiter Cancer Survivor Group.” But we welcome him with open arms! And SURVIVORS are what we truly are!! The initiation procedure really sucks, but once you get past that, it’s a good group with which to belong. (And my brother, Jerry, told Dave we serve cookies. Hmmm…I must have missed those meetings.)

The Hodgkin’s is a certain diagnosis. The testing to be done at Mayo is to re-confirm the course of treatment. There will be various scans, blood tests, etc. performed over these next couple of weeks. Chemo will most likely begin the week of 1/17 or 1/23.

My wish/hope/prayer is that this experience will really become a “gift” for Dave. There are many ways to face and cope with a cancer diagnosis. There are many ways to get through the situation. Maybe, down the road, he’ll be able to look back upon these next several months and find that some further good has come into his life as a result of this “bump in the road.”

Dave’s wife, Kate, is a strong woman. She has proven that time and time again. For those of you who haven’t made the connection, these two are parents to Mighty Mark, and Baby Joe. (Happy Birthday Marky…born 7 years ago today at 1 pound, 7 ounces, he will forever be our new year’s miracle!!!) So, you see, Dave has a great support system right under his own roof. Kate is there by his side, and his two adorable, funny, lively children will help to keep the smiles coming.

My very wise father hit the nail on the head when he made the observation that ‘it seems to be easier to have the cancer than to have a loved one be diagnosed with cancer.’ This situation is very difficult for me to come to terms with. It’s not fair to Dave. It’s not fair to his family, or our family as a whole. BUT…fair or not, we are SURVIVORS and I will do everything I can to help Dave and Kate get through these trying times.

You know what to do! And you, obviously, know how to do it incredibly well! Please get those prayers heaven sent. They can only help to make a lousy situation a little bit more tolerable.

I wish you and yours HEALTH in 2006!

1 comment:

KB (for dear Carol) said...

I shorted Mark the Shark by 5 ounces. He was actually 1 lb, 12 oz at birth! Every ounce counted those days!!