Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Awesome Gift

The most creative, unexpected, thoughtful gift came to me from a group of employees where I work (and some of their family members as well). The two Kristis got together and formulated a plan to participate in a local blood drive in my honor. They spread the word at work and 16 people participated! I am just in awe at what a fantastic thing this is! I understand that many others let it be known that they could not donate for a variety of reasons and that is so completely understood. Heck, not even I can donate blood. This truly is a gift of life for many, many people. And to have given of yourselves in my honor is quite touching. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

In addition to the blood drive, KB had little cards available for folks to decorate and send me Christmas wishes. They were so cute and festive. I loved every one. I think you can all understand why I miss going to work and seeing all of these wonderful people every day!


While my platelets are still low, it appears we are going to proceed with tomorrow's GI scope anyway. To be honest, I was kind of hoping to get out of it, but I guess it's important that it be done. I've had no episodes the last day or two (of course) but that doesn't mean the problem is solved. Not sure how quickly I'll have results but I would think it could possibly be a case of immediate feedback.

I had my follow-up with the ENT doctor today and he was actually able to cauterize two blood vessels in my nose. That was an "odd" sensation, to say the least. Hopefully it will offer some further relief. The further away we get from the last Avastin treatment, the less intense the nosebleeds seem to be. So we know it's all related. Now we just try to keep things as controlled as possible.

Christmas was quite nice and it was a full day. It's always such a treat to be at Brian's mom's house with all the many kids and grownups. Yes, a bit overwhelming...but always fun, always happy, always an amazing sense of family.

Time to get cozy and settle in for the evening. I'll let you know how the scope thing goes. May be a little hazy from the sedation tomorrow though, so don't hold your breath.

No comments: