Monday, March 12, 2007

You Just Never Know

You just never know what 'treatment day' will bring. By definition it should bring a treatment, yes? Well, not today.

Instead, by the time I had asked all of my many questions and updated Dr K on all my current aches and pains he decided that we should do a CT scan of my head, chest, abdomen and pelvis. And that we should also wait and see what my latest tumor marker number looks like that we drew blood for today, before proceeding with another treatment. So I'll have the marker # sometime tomorrow, and I'll see the pics from the scan on Wed morning. After that we'll determine if we'll proceed on the same track or change things up a bit.

I've been experiencing headaches, vomiting, and lower back pain (even with the fentanyl patch on). That's why we want to see if there's anything new going on that we should be aware of. Unfortunately, this past weekend was my sort of annual get-together with my sisters and the way that I was feeling tapped into the fun way too much. I felt extremely cheated!

For some reason the scan caused a great deal more discomfort than I ever remember it causing in the past. First it took 2 nurses and 3 pokes to get an iv started. Then the iodine burned something terrible when they injected it. I know it does, but this was extreme. By the time I left I was ready to run screaming from the building. So then I came home and napped for 2 1/2 hours with my jacket on because, even on this spring-type day, I just couldn't warm up.

So I should have updated news to report on Wednesday at some point. If all looks "normal" on the scan and the tumor marker number is cooperating then we'll just go about our business as it was planned for today. If anything has gone haywire, we'll deal with that as necessary.

1 comment:

jeanneusa said...

I hope everything goes well. The problem with this spring type weather is that it is damp and then you do feel cold.
We need summer weather. lol
Take care,
Jean