Friday, August 19, 2005

Humbling

Wow! I can't believe it has taken me all week to sit down and finally enter this blog. Wow! I can't believe what an incredible couple of days I had last weekend. Wow! I can't believe the amazing family into which I was born, and the amazing family into which I married.

Last Saturday was the 3rd annual Rally For A Cure golf outing. I am pleased to announce it was a great success. And that is, in large part, due to my family and friends. The time and effort that go into this thing is immeasurable. The love and support I feel from attending cannot be put into words. This event is not about me. But it does raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, so I tend to personalize it a wee bit.

Going above and beyond the 'usual' wonderfulness of themselves, The Wychesit/Brusse family caught me totally off guard with their generosity. Baby Mary presented me with a heartwarming letter on Friday evening, accompanied by an envelope that contained money to sponsor a hole in my honor. I was blown away! What an unbelievable gift! I was speechless. And later, those tears I mentioned in a recent blog came to the surface. I had a great weekend, but that just put the icing on the cake.

Also, one of the silent auction items was a walking stick made by Amy's sister. It is one of the coolest pink ribbon items I have ever seen. It was made specifically for this year's Rally and came with a truly inspirational poem. I HAD to have it (sorry, Lisa) and so I kept raising the bid until it was mine. Then Julie even personalized it with my name. For now it is a work of art displayed at home. I intend to use it for the 4-mile walk at RoadAmerica in October. And one day, who knows, it may serve as my 'cane'.

As if that weren't all enough...on Monday I received some touching photos from my sister, Sue, of her children. On Friday night, and again Saturday morning, they participated in the Relay For Life. Walking, walking, walking. The pictures were of them decorating a luminary to place around the track that then burned all night long. They made me teary at my desk. And, the team they were a part of raised over $10,000 for the American Cancer Society! Fabulous! Again...a spectacular gift that couldn't be more appreciated.

I honestly am humbled by these experiences. The strength I draw from the love and support of family and friends is what sustains me, day in and day out. Money doesn't buy happiness? I don't know. All the money raised could one day be that most important dollar that is used to develop the cure! Imagine the HAPPINESS then!!

No comments: