Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I'll do my crying in the rain

Tears are an odd phenomenon, don't you think? For example...

Yesterday morning I woke to my radio, as I do every weekday. They gave me the time, the temp, and then said "for those of you just joining us this morning, we are mourning the death of Peter Jennings." I cried. I cried and I lost all ambition to get out of bed or move or do anything that I needed to do on a Monday morning. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. The man announces he has lung cancer in April, and by August he's dead?!? I have always been impressed by Peter Jennings. His voice, his knowledge, his delivery, his compassion. He did great things with his life. Not bad for a guy who never even graduated from high school. So I cried in the shower and I cried on my (late) drive to work, and I teared up once or twice at my desk. Not just because Peter Jennings died, but because he became another damn statistic. Another awful Cancer statistic. And those statistics hit a little too close to my home and heart.

Today was a whole new tear-fest. But...these were tears from laughing so hard! Laughing at myself that is.

I did a bad, bad thing. I wanted to get back to my original hair color (dark brown for those of you who don't remember). I bought a box of stuff, mixed it up, applied, waited only 25 of the recommended 30 minutes and...voila...it turned out black! I have black hair! I've been told it looks goth, ethnic, and like an old lady trying to cover her greys (ok, that part is partially true). It's funny! It's very, very funny! I got to work and we laughed most of the morning at my misfortune. Then at noon I got it cut into a bob and my hair wizard tried to lighten it up. We'll continue that process tomorrow afternoon. The craziest part of all is the way the color took to my hair. It's very calico. Some areas are dark brown like it showed on the box and some areas are black, but all around my face is black. No, I don't have any photos. I don't think they would do it justice.

I have high hopes for my hair wizard tomorrow. Otherwise, we could be looking at tears of horror!

No comments: