Thursday, May 11, 2006

38 Down...

...2 to Go!

It is a cold, wet, windy, miserable day here today. And yet, I feel pretty darn good! I had my bone strengthener yesterday which often leaves me with a little extra pain in my joints. The cold, wet weather usually has the same effect, but my discomfort is minimal today. Yes, I still feel it, but compared to how I was feeling for a couple of weeks there, this is nothing!

I will finish up my radiation tomorrow. I told the techs yesterday I won't know what to do with myself. I've seen them every weekday since March 23rd. That's seven weeks! Dare I say, we're friends now, not just patient/caregiver. We have a lot of laughs in there. I will miss that...but NOT the radiation.

Depending on yesterday's lab results, we'll start the Xeloda either next week or the week after. The numbers they're looking at are just barely in the normal range and they don't want to start the chemo pills until my blood has had a chance to rebound a little bit. I don't know if they tested my tumor marker or not. If they did, I'll post the number here later today or tomorrow. (Again, that's more for my reference than for yours.)

My energy level is still pretty low, but 38 radiation treatments will do that to a person. At least my mood is high! A new, odd pain that I had earlier this week has all but gone away on its own. I'm thankful for that. My first thought was "appendix" and I really don't need to deal with something like that now too!

My brother, Dave, has had a very rough week and wasn't able to get his final chemo yesterday. It's delayed until a complication with his lungs is cleared up. I think he's breathing a little better each day though. I told him I could completely relate to what he's going through. I remember sobbing in the chemo chair back in 2001 when they delayed my final chemo. You get to a point where enough is enough and they've teased you with this final date...and then they burst your bubble. Be tough, Dave! Your "normal" will return!!

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful Mothers out there; especially, my own dear Mom!!! I hope the sun decides to shine on Sunday!

No comments: