Thursday, May 18, 2006

Big K

I saw Dr. Kumar yesterday. First time in over two months. Now that I'm done with the radiation I kind of flip back to the other side of the clinic and see the folks over there instead.

Dr K told me that he was a little concerned when he saw that my tumor marker number had gone so high. But he was relieved to see the drop this past month. And he says he feels like we will see another drop this month. I hope he's right! June 7th is my next Zometa infusion, so I will have my next tumor marker results by then. If the number actually does go down again we may hold off on the Xeloda for "a while." Because of my age he doesn't want to exhaust all treatment options too soon. So the longer we can hold off with these chemo pills, and still see things changing in a positive direction, the better off I'll be.

I like Dr K's approach to the Xeloda. He prefers to start with lower doses and steadily increase how much I'm taking until we find my threshold for when the worst of the side effects kick in. Then we know what dosage is best for me. This sounds more comfortable and easier to monitor---rather than going through all the potential nasty side effects.

Because I don't have any new symptoms, and the ones I do have are consistent with the cancer and the radiation I've received, Dr K is confident that the cancer is still bone-only. Honestly, I don't know that it had occurred to me that it might NOT still be bone-only. I just thought that those increased numbers signaled more activity in the bones...which they did, but it still made me pause.

Is that why I've had such a bad day today? Even though my appointment went well, I think it still brought some things to the surface. The radiation has beat up my bone marrow pretty good, which is why I have no energy. That should improve over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure that being a lump on the couch all these weeks hasn't helped my mood either. So it was a bad mental health day for me. But Dominic is home, and Brian will be here soon, and I hope to shake this cloud and move into a nice evening and a happy weekend.

That's the latest update from here. I'll be better tomorrow...

Let the sun shine!!

No comments: