Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Treatment Plan

Dr. Kumar and Dr. Vogel spoke at length yesterday morning. I got the information through Brenda (the fun nurse) yesterday but have waited to blog until today because I knew I'd have more information after being at the clinic today for my Procrit shot.

First thing we did was stop the Xeloda chemo pills. I'll take the anti-nausea pills for a couple more days though to be sure it's far enough out of my system to no longer make me sick.

Next appointment I have is actually with my dentist to be sure the Zometa has not affected my jaw or teeth at all. Good dental hygiene is also important when undergoing chemo and taking various cancer-related drugs. As long as everything checks out ok we'll continue with the Zometa infusions. I think it should all be fine. There was just a bit of a red flag when they noted I had jaw pain last week or the week before, but I'm sure that was from the intense vomiting.

The appointment after that will be at the hospital, as an outpatient, to have a port put in. That is a device that's placed in my chest, underneath the skin, through which chemo drugs can be given, all my other infusions can be given, and blood can even be drawn. We've talked about this in the past because I have such poor veins, but now it's going to happen.

Then on Friday, September 8th, we will start a regimen of chemotherapy. I will receive a drug called Taxol every week for three weeks, and the Avastin every other week. What would be week 4 will be a week off of everything. I am currently scheduled for two rounds of these treatments, followed by another CT scan. Depending on what the scan then shows, I may be able to start the estrogen therapy. (not sure yet if that will involve a trip to FL or not)

Potential side effects include thinning/loss of hair, numbness or tingling in my hands, feet, arms and/or legs, nausea and loss of appetite and taste, and fatigue. Those are the main ones.

I am really dreading all of this...but if we can accomplish something favorable in "only" eight weeks time, it will be worth it!

No comments: