Monday, October 09, 2006

What's on my plate?

Good morning one and all,

I had an appt with Dr K last Friday, as well as another treatment. The lab work shows that my anemia has worsened slightly so we up-ed the dosage of Aranesp. I also continue to be dehydrated so they gave me more fluids than usual. I'll never understand dehydration! It isn't like I don't consume fluids throughout the day, so how does a person really get to be dehydrated? (I know the lack of eating and some of the drugs make a difference, but it's still very strange to me.) These two factors alone (anemia and dehydration) certainly can account for the extreme light-headedness I've been experiencing.

Even now my head is swirling somewhere above my shoulders in a disconnected kind of way. Add to that the fact that my stomach is flopping around like a fish out of water and it's just another day in the life of Carol.

We are going to wait four more weeks and then check my tumor marker number again at that time. If the numbers have not come down then we will switch to the Taxol (drip chemo) at that time. I can't put my finger on what he said or how he said it, but there was just something different about Dr K this time that did not feel very optimistic about my prognosis. Normally I leave there feeling more positive than I felt going in, but not on Friday.

I am happy to report that Dominic did a really good job driving the other evening. Likes to hug the right shoulder pretty close, but we'll work on that. He and his buddy also had an AWESOME time at the concert at Alpine Valley Saturday night. I'm very pleased we were able to work all of that out for them.

Brian was a little sore in the shoulders this morning as he golfed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this past weekend. Have to take advantage of these last good Fall days I suppose. I'm so happy he gets out and has fun with his buddies. It's really good for him!

All kinds of upheaval at work right now. I have some of the details but not all. Kind of nervous about what all of this could mean in the long run. I'll check in with some folks there when my brain feels a little less clouded so I can absorb all that's going on. For now, I'm trying not to worry about it too much.

Time to go put my head on my pillow. Funny how that seems to have a direct effect on my stomach as well.

No comments: