Friday, November 03, 2006

Crazy Daisy

After receiving two units of blood on Tuesday I definitely felt like my head was reattached to my body. It was a huge help that way, as well as giving me a little boost of energy and helping my vision. The latest blood draw shows my hemoglobin is up to 11. Still lower than the minimum of 13 we would like to see, but much better than the 8.4 I was at.

On Thursday we drew labs for my treatment, and to find out where my tumor marker is at. Red and white blood cells were ok, but now my platelets are low, so I couldn't receive treatment today as scheduled. I'm on hold until Monday now and we'll see what the numbers are then. That was totally unexpected! I also have my follow up visit with the oral surgeon on Monday.

Since I didn't have treatment today, I won't start my chemo pills until at least Monday either...if I start them at all. We may or may not switch to the Taxotere chemo drip on Monday. That seems slightly less likely now that we have my latest tumor marker number. Get this.......it dropped 103 points!! My assumption is that we will go at least one more round doing what we're doing and hope to see a downward trend. My new number is 3765.

This should be a good weekend for me. With only the anti-nausea pills and the Fentanyl from the pain patch in my system, I could almost be feeling like a human being.

So while we've had a minor set-back with the platelets and not being able to stay on the treatment schedule, the tumor marker is down a bit (funny how a number like 100 is now "a bit") and we can all be thankful for that.

Enjoy this sunny, albeit CHILLY afternoon!

No comments: