Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Happy Brian's Birthday!

This is something I wrote about a year ago. It's what I submitted to the Press when I was interviewed for that article last year. I don't know how many of you ever saw it, so I thought I'd post it here today.



Starting chemotherapy in January, 2001, was a step into the unknown. Cancer itself is difficult enough to face. The horror stories that a person hears about others who have undergone chemo leave you terrified as to what your own experience will be. The Cancer didn’t make me feel sickly, it was just a lump, after all. The chemo, on the other hand, would change every routine of my daily life.

My then boyfriend, Brian, and I had been going out for 16 months when I was diagnosed. Timing is everything! Could our relationship have survived this invasion if we hadn’t already invested that time in each other? We’ll never know that for sure. What I do know is that he was my rock. He went to appointments with me and helped me out in so many ways…sometimes just by sitting quietly by my side…always by making a concerted effort to keep me laughing and smiling.

So it didn’t seem fair that my first day of chemo fell on his birthday. He was insistent that I not change the date. “Get it started so you can get it finished.” And he agreed to be there with me that afternoon. What could I do to lighten the mood for his day?

We were all situated in the chemo room at the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic; I was in the big recliner all hooked up to the meds and Brian was on a stool looking over some papers he had brought along for work. I caught a glimpse of “her” through the narrow window pane in the door. Brian was oblivious. Suddenly, here she was! A big hairy gorilla in a yellow polka-dot bikini singing happy birthday! Everybody there enjoyed her singing and poem and silliness. Brian blushed, but I think he enjoyed the attention…I have pictures of him kissing her! It brightened the afternoon not just for the two of us, but for the other patients and the staff as well.

Chemo started, but life went on! There were tears and discomfort and grey days…but there was also laughter, and a new appreciation for life’s details. And we got through it. December, 2001, Brian proposed and we have been happily honeymooning for 2 ½ years now.

My cancer has since returned, and has now spread to my bones. We’re dealing with that in the same upbeat, positive way. No additional chemo has been needed yet, but we’re ready to deal with that when the time comes. Chemotherapy is traumatizing, but attitude makes all the difference, as does surrounding yourself with the right people.



Thanks for being all my "right" people! :)

No comments: